Saturday, August 16, 2008



A little side trip...









After about 16 years and some number of months, days, weeks etc. finally decided to travel to Sri Lanka the birthplace of my parents, fine tea, and... I'm note sure what else - hence my desire to go back and discover something about the country of my origin.



Anyway regardless of reasons the trip itself is one I intend document through a written journal and when the opportunity presents itself update appropriate entries to my blog with a few pictures to liven things up.



My trip began in Calgary August 11th (I could have taken a cheaper flight on Sept 11th, but for some reason decided against it). The route I would be taking went from Calgary to Vancouver then a direct flight to Honk Kong, a 10 hour layover followed by a flight to Colombo via Singapore.




First day of journey took the quick flight to Vancouver and discovered that I could get my checked luggage sent all the way to Colombo without having to collect them in Hong Kong during my short layover - a nice bonus. As well the plane going to Hong Kong was delayed by a few hours so had to wait a bit longer than expected - not quite a nice bonus. Although they did provide a meal voucher and did give the whole "terminal" feel.



Took a few random pictures of the art around the airport and found a place to sleep while waiting for the aircraft.

Groggily got up for the boarding call for the Hong Kong flight, ended up with a window seat which I thought was good for taking pictures and was relatively pleased (at the time). The flight left around 6 am Wensday morning and immediately the plane went into "night" mode - I suppose they were set to local time and was preparing the passengers for the time zone difference. They served us a light dinner and promptly encouraged sleep, of course there was a nice entertainment system in each system that included basic 8-bit games and video on demand with movies, TV shows and other programs. I was sitting next to a very nice couple heading to Malaysia for vacation, though was too tired to go into long conversations.

The rest of the trip was uneventful until we prepared to arrive in Hong Kong. Oddly enough found it hard to believe that I was travelling but seeing the HK skyline through the window helped me realize that fact.

That's it for now, I'll next post will deal with HK and arrival in Sri Lanka.



No comments: