Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Hindsight in 2020

Hindsight: Those really were the droids you were looking for.




Tomorrow marks the beginning of a new decade and given the numerical significance of the year thought it would be an appropriate time to reflect a bit on the past decade (or 4) and use a website I've neglected for almost 5 years.

It's been an interesting time the past 10 years, unpredictable in a lot of ways yet often pretty mundane. One could spend a lot of energy going over the past, wondering what could have been done better or if things really worked out for the best, though I think my main take away from the trouble I've had the past few years is not to get bogged down by focusing so much on past mistakes.
My goal for 2020 is to be a bit more in the present, while still being mindful of lessons learned from failures while not devolving into regret.

There's that saying "if you want to change the world, first change yourself", while I've known it intellectually for quite a while it's been hard to implement (especially when inundated with news across the globe about the environment, politics, entertainment, and Florida man).
I think I might be in a position to start changing myself, though it took quite a while to get to this point. Up till now it has felt like walking in circles in knee deep mud, so focused on just trying to put one foot in front of the other that never bothered to look up and notice there are a few paths not to far away - or maybe more accurately was unsure of where the paths would lead so figured going in a circle would somehow work out.

Also, I think I'll stop trying to worry so much about perfection. Innumerable times have been so concerned about making mistakes or trying to do something 'perfect' that I ended up doing nothing or scrapping whatever it was being worked on. Well, time to proudly make misteaks.

So, not sure what is in store for 2020, but it should be very interesting.

No comments: