Sunday, October 12, 2008

Feeling a bit like James Bond...



Well now it's official, I am a Dual citizen of Sri Lanka and Canada. Recieved passport in the mail the other day and boy is it nifty, with nearly 3 times as many pages as my Canadian one. It feels kind of cool to be able to travel on 2 different docs, though how wise that would be... is debatable. There are a few interesting things though, with the Sri Lankan passport I can visit a few other countries (such as India) without a visa though still it is a lot easier to get around on the Canadian one.

Hmm, let's see what else... been trying to take a few more pictures for the blog though it's getting more difficult with time in short supply and a excess of security in the scenic areas. Though occasionally find a nifty shot to take. Above is the 'Green Path' that runs through Viharamahadevi park in Colombo, it's next to the National Art Gallery as well so quite a few 'Artists' set up shop along the road to sell paintings. I say 'artists' because I'm not sure how much of what they paint is meant as expression versus as a means to sell, that is something I've always wondered about. If something is created purely for monetary gain with no thought behind it what so ever... is it still art? Meh, probably, after all it is 'in the eye of the beholder' that appreciation for the art is found.

Been a little busy working on a website for my Aunt's Union, had the site launch last Saturday and it was an akward experience. Firstly I'm not exactly experience building a lot of site... in fact only 2 and they were incomplete half-hearted attempts made with the built in web tools. So this time fired up Dreamweaver with all sorts of nifty photo editing plugins like Fireworks and got to work. I was surprised I could actually design somthing half-way decent but still not too happy with the result. Another problem is finding a reliable hosting service in Sri Lanka, looking on the web I found a couple that seemed reliable until I phoned them up to ask more questions. So for the demo I had to create a subdomain on my own site and show off the few pages I had done. Actually for a first serious attempt it's not too bad, though realize it will need a lot more work to properly represent the All Ceylon Union of Teachers or ACUT. I have other comments I could make about the nature and frustration in getting proper material for the site, but not wanting to say anything negative I'll just say it was an interesting and almost typical experience of Sri Lanka.


Though now I don't have an excuse to miss future posts, I have internet! A cool USB doohicky that provides 3G services (wide area Wi-Fi) so I can be blogg'n on the road or other places... I begin to debate the wisdom of writing on this subject, oh well. Anyway the device is definately a god send which is what allowed me to finally finish the above mentioned website on time - trying to build a website without internet access is like trying to drive a car without tires.

Hmm, I suppose I should explain how I got my hands on such a wonderful little gadget but I'll have to save that for another post, until then my friends. (hey that rhymed!)

No comments: