Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Bootwhistle
After trying my darnedest (I'm aware of the language) to avoid reading any news, I became so bored that I spent about an hour looking at news stories from the wonderful world wide web. It seems blogging has come under scrutiny in a number of incidents, Apple sued to find the identity of bloggers who released product information, bloggers attacked the mainstream media and the media of course fired back, and microsoft is implementing censorship on blogs originating in China. My favourite quote concerned salivating morons (bloggers) who made up a lynch mob prevailing, this was due to harsh critisism from the blogging community (really why do people care?) over some comment made by a CNN news executive that was take out of context. After reading the article I realized that while blogging is quite an easy way to voice opinions... it reminded me of my previously expressed beliefs... en masse people are 'salivating morons'. Nowadays having access to a computer and internet does not an intelligent person make. On the one hand I'm flabbergasted that a community of bloggers could force the resignation of an respected news exec, but then was that really an effective or even purposefull use of that power. Blogging is great but I have to admit it doesn't require much thought or forces bloggers to in any way think about what they are writing. While I'm sure that there are some bloggers who carefully review issues before ranting like foaming madmen (no disrespect intended to actual raving madmen), most seem to take a more reactionary - dare I say American, approach. The same sort of issues surrounded email and perhaps still do, people would often send of emails without thinking about the consequences, in many cases out of anger or a misguided sense of humor. The unlucky found themselves unemployed since they never stopped to think about what they were saying in their mails. That's the problem with technology, everything is so instant that people need to step back and realize that we have a brain to reason... not enable a return to animalistic reactionary impulses. Speaking of which I think I'm hungry, maybe I'll go hunt a rabbit.

No comments: