Monday, September 27, 2004

Bootwhistle
It's been a while since I last posted but without a home computer find I really can only check email dilligently (plus the school computers aren't that great *sigh*), anyway for this week we have a company called imaginus on campus selling various posters to students at ridiculous costs. Actually I went looking for something since my room is decidedly spartan at the moment, however when looking through the posters and pictures I found that nothing really 'spoke' to me, most of the posters were from movies or crush pics of desired actress/actors (as well as the semi famous). There were also quite a few funny pictures and some inspired posters... my favourite being the periodic table of mixing drinks, but overall there wasn't anything that I wanted to see everyday, well there was a few but of course the better it is the price went up ... way up. I just can't justify spending over $30 on one poster - actually that's not the real problem I have, seriously if you have the money and it speaks to you then go ahead... but the impression I got from the whole scenario was one of mass capitalism disguising itself as setting yourself apart and individualizing. Exactly how individual can you be when you're buying mass produced posters from classic movies, and insightful wisdom that have been around for centuries (I also find it ironic that they sell posters with communist themes).
They say pictures are worth a thousand words, well I'm beginning to think your own art is worth a thousand pictures. I do have some artistic talent and while I may not be able to draw a masterpiece I can create something that has meaning to me and hang it with pride on my wall (also at almost no cost but thats a different issue). I'm not saying everyone should create their own art (because really some of you people suck big time) but at least think about what speaks to you (your soul to put it in another way), instead of what is popular/pricey. Jeez I can't seem to stop going on about the cost, arrgh, well you know what? I'm sick of this just do whatever other wierdos do, besides its a good thing for some students to have something shiny/glossy to look at while stoned.

No comments: