Tuesday, April 08, 2008

It's been another long spell between posts... I could accept the approriate blame but instead I'll shift the indignant outrage to the proper source - Facebook! The off again, on again interest in this juggernaut of 'social connectivity' has finnally run its course with my desire for sanity, to the point I have indeed quit the site altogether (though I admit for the second time - this time for sure I swear!).
Not that I think (as some have suggested) that Facebook is a sign of the anti-christ and that the makers are beings of pure evil with hatred in their hearts and a desire for consuming puppies and kittens ... for god sakes they aren't jugglers.... ahem, getting back to 'le pointe'.
Facebook is basically a site where you register to index yourself with everyone else and then search for the random people you've encountered in your lifetime. Upon finding such peoples one proceeds to call them 'friends' and then inundates them with mass mailouts of quizes, triva, pointless games, vampire/zombie/werewolf invitations (...yeah) etc, etc. The breaking point for me was an old coworker contacting me on facebook to join a pyramid scheme, at that point my disillusion with the Facebook phenom was complete.
Truthfully the 'friends' on Facebook who I did not keep in contact with through other means I really didn't have much to say to and most likely it was vice versa... and then trying to keep up with the social drama between groups is something else entirely.
Of course if one can manage their way through the rigors of online social networking more power to them, though still for all, I'd much rather have friends that allowed me to spend more time away from the computer screen than a prerequisite.

No comments: